Thinner shells for delivering gentler therapeutic bursts

Lopsided microcapsules release cargo at lower osmotic pressures required for drug delivery By Lindsay Brownell (CAMBRIDGE, Mass.) — Cracking an egg to release its yolk requires applying external force (like being smacked against the edge of a bowl) to overcome the strength of the eggshell. Similarly, delivering microcapsule-contained therapeutic biomolecules into the human body requires …

Read More

Painting the molecular canvas in super-resolution

Action-PAINT enables manipulation of single molecules at their natural locations with super-resolution precision to facilitate the study of biological processes By Benjamin Boettner (BOSTON) — To understand how individual molecules play their roles in biological processes inside the cells they are synthesized in, researchers have developed super-resolution microscopy methods to visualize them at the single-molecule …

Read More

Wyss Institute and Miraki Innovation Unveil BOA Biomedical

New venture’s platform technology can rapidly diagnose and treat a broad range of antibiotic-resistant infectious diseases The technology that BOA has licensed from the Wyss Institute physically removes bacteria and other pathogens from the blood, which helps to avert sepsis, allows for faster identification of the infectious agent, and can help combat antibiotic resistance. Credit: …

Read More

A swifter way towards 3D-printed organs

Sacrificial ink-writing technique allows 3D printing of large, vascularized human organ building blocks By Lindsay Brownell (CAMBRIDGE, Mass.) — 20 people die every day waiting for an organ transplant in the United States, and while more than 30,000 transplants are now performed annually, there are over 113,000 patients currently on organ waitlists. Artificially grown human …

Read More

Harvard’s athlete-based next-generation probiotics technology licensed to FitBiomics

Wyss Institute-launched startup company will develop probiotics that have potential to enhance athletic performance By Benjamin Boettner (BOSTON) — Today the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard University announced that its athlete microbiome-based technology will be commercialized by Fitbiomics Inc., a recently formed startup company, to develop highly validated probiotics based on elite …

Read More

A gentle grip on gelatinous creatures

New ultra-soft underwater gripper safely catches and releases jellyfish without damage By Lindsay Brownell (CAMBRIDGE, Mass.) — Jellyfish are about 95% water, making them some of the most diaphanous, delicate animals on the planet. But the remaining 5% of them have yielded important scientific discoveries, like green fluorescent protein (GFP) that is now used extensively …

Read More